This is a fantastic recipe to experiment with, changing the bananas to 2 cups of any pureed fruit and adding in additional ground spices, such as cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. I have even done an oatmeal variation where I replaced the bananas with 2 cups of cooked and cooled oatmeal with good results, and one where I doubled the recipe and used 2 cups of cooked oatmeal and 2 cups of chunky applesauce and threw in some cinnamon, to make 2 loaves of apple cinnamon oatmeal bread.
Use your imagination and post a comment to share what comes out good.
- 6 very ripe bananas
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 handful of uncooked old fashioned oats (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mash the bananas and sugar together.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Stir in the banana mixture and the vanilla, till thoroughly blended.
- Stir in the raisins.
- Pour into an ungreased nonstick loaf pan*.
- Sprinkle oats on top.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
- Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Cool completely before slicing.
*If you don't have a nonstick loaf pan, or the one you have isn't of very good quality, you will have to grease the pan. Keep in mind that doing this would make the loaf no longer fat free.